Saturday, October 20, 2007

first steps to my college..

am writing this after good 4 years since it happened, it's just because of the immense attachment i feel towards my college since the day i completed my course!! i just wanted to share it...

my life right after i finished my 12th standard was a sort of an unexpected ride!! i was just one more guy among thousands writing the engineering and medical entrance exams. frankly, i had no hope for i had no real preparations, no coaching, absolutely nothing of that sort. i had taken up B.Sc Physics honours at a college under the University of Delhi. i was pretty happy and contented about it as well!! but then, the kerala entrance results came, and to my horror, i had a rank good enough to be called up for counseling! frankly i didn't believe that at first, but as i dug in for some more info, i saw it coming. yup, somehow i had made it!

i was still not hoping to get into a good college though, so i rather thought of staying in delhi. but dad went for the counseling for me, and with arjun also going for it, i was in half mind! by the way, arjun is my first and the oldest pal!! i was alloted a course in printing technology at first, and i had to fill up a form for something called higher option. i was a little tilted towards biology at that time and when i went through the available course, biotechnology sounded good to me. well, i must say at that time kiran mazumdar shaw was creating waves with her success in the field!! and so i thought of letting it be.. biotechnology.. that was my priority option!

weeks later, when i had actually come out of all the excitement over it, it happened. i had just reached back home after an onam feast. i was parking the car, and dad came to the door and yelled, "we have to go to kerala, you got biotechnology!!". i just blinked and involuntarily came a sarcastic smile, yeah right, i thought! well, it was true, i saw the letter and it said that i have got a seat in biotechnology at Mohandas College of Engineering and Technology, Trivandrum. at that time, i didn't know what to say, it was simply too unexpected!

me and dad reached trivandrum to have a look at this college about which i had enquired a bit. it was a fairly new college run by a filthy rich guy through a trust, it didn't matter a shit to me that time! another thing was the principal, supposedly the best in the state.. well, i would say that that was quite true. i went to see the college, it was beautiful. we were just entering, me and dad, and i told him,"dad, this is where i want to be!". i met quite a few people, and the gut feeling that made me say those words was not wrong! it was the right decision.. i got enrolled to my college! something i had not expected.. but it gave me a pleasant feeling!

they had a pretty decent hostel, and i thought of staying there would be better as i had a fair bit of language problem. i was the second guy in my batch to come to the hostel, and there i met my first friend in the college, my roommate, my classmate, and a great buddy to be.. nadim! we had just one senior batch to us, and there were quite a few northies among them, and seemingly the influential ones also! i was expecting to get ragged, from my delhi experience, but they were real nice people. actually they were happy to see us, and it was great to see the seniors mingle with us. they joked around and told the basic stuffs about the college, teachers, our mess, everything! hmm, i was glad and i sighed with satisfaction.. i had ended up at the right place.. my college..

No comments: